23.3.10

Who's pleasing you?

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Gal. 1:10

I'll be the first to confess that often times I am more worried about pleasing others than God. Before I make a decision, sometimes my first thought is, "what would he/she think of this?" rather than "what would God want me to do." It's something I definitely have to work on. A commentary I read on this verse said this, "Whom we seek to please shows who pleases us. The more Christ pleases, the more earnestly shall we seek to please Him in all we say and do and think." Ouch! If I'm seeking to please others, that's saying that I don't find all my pleasure in Christ alone. That He is not sufficient for me, that I'm not satisfied in Him. How terrible! Since I've become a follower of Christ, what is my aim in life? To please my Savior. So why do I want to please others? Well, cause I don't want to look like a fool? Is the gospel foolish? "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" 1 Corinthians 1:18 says. It's foolish to those who are perishing. And will it really matter at the end of my life if a few people on the earth thought I was a bit crazy and foolish for being a christian? I really don't think I'll care too much about that. I shouldn't want to please others more than God. My heart should not be divided. Matthew 6:24 says, "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." My life is devoted to God, I surrendered my life to Him, He should be my focus. If we lived to please God entirely with everything we do, I wonder how different our lives would be, or even the world would be. Whom do you find your most pleasure, is it people around you, or God?

No comments:

Post a Comment