6.3.10

Love

I came across this poem the other day, and initially someones reaction would probably be, "Aww, that's so sweet." I had a slightly different reaction. Even thought this poem was speaking of someone else, I found it awfully self-centered. Here's what it said:

I love you for giving your heart to me
and trusting me with your pride
I love you for wanting me
and needing me by your side
I love you for the emotions
i never knew i had
I love you for making me smile
whenever I feel sad
I love you for your thoughts of me
and for how you make me feel
But most of all I love you
'cuz I know you're mine for real.


That to me, is loving someone for what they do for you, not for loving the person. It's selfish to love someone for their 'thoughts of me' and 'how you make me feel'. I'm not saying that those things are bad necessarily, I'm sure they're all true and nice. My problem with this poem is this: should it be the reason you love someone? I don't think so. Your love for someone should not be based off of all the things they do for you. Think of God's love. We did nothing worth loving, yet He still loves us and gave His son for us. Am I overreacting and reading into things too much? maybe so (lol). I just think so much of relationships today are based off of what he/she did or didn't do for me. Or how he/she makes me feel, how he/she isn't paying attention to me or giving me what I need. You get the point. Selfless love, that's how God loves us, that's how we should love.

1 comment:

  1. You were right, the first time I read it I initially thought "aww, sweet". But I think you looked at it the right way, and didn't read too much into it. Today's world view of love is all about how much you can get out of someone, without realizing that that is the exact opposite of what we're to do! Its about what you give, not what you get.

    ReplyDelete